15 January 2011

near death (does not equal) death

people talk about 'near death' experiences (NDE's) all the time, really, they can be quite common. to me a near death experience (NDE) is like slipping and almost falling off the Grand Canyon (but not), accidentally parking your car in a river & swimming out, underwater diving with sharks, the first parachute doesn't open, but the second one does, etc...

i think death experiences are a bit different.  i had a death experience (DE).  in the middle of having a gallbladder full of stones removed before thanksgiving (probably not a coincidence), i flatlined. as in my heart stopped, on its own, for what I was told was almost a solid minute.  i don't know if that means 45 seconds or 58 seconds and there were a few days in my life where I wanted to know exactly...but I let that go, which leads me to the rest of this story.

please understand, i've always been a person that is all about the numbers, the stats, the years, the number signs and the dollar signs, the percentages.  i've essentially priced mortality or reviewed mortality expectations of individuals for most of my adult life.  this didn't just happen to someone that didn't understand the percentages (who makes it, who doesn't, how many seconds it takes, how many chest compressions are required, the odds, etc...).

so i am released to come home on thanksgiving day. my research begins immediately after i catch up on much needed sleep you can't get in a hospital. i woke up and picked up a laptop.  you gotta love google. its a numbers keepers dream.

you know i learned it all. there is debate, medically, on my odds, statistically speaking. needless to say the answers I was looking for would not be found in google (you won't hear me say that often).

so i closed the lid on the laptop.  after all that research it was as if The Maker (thank you @swagclub for sharing this term with me), the Good Lord above, Father Mother Earth, or whatever you call him or her in your life, said to me, and i quote loosely (it wasn't audible) "look girl, get busy on living your life, be happy, drink the good wine, wear your fancy shoes (what are you saving anything for?), love abundantly (with a capital A) & please stop all that worry you do about the numbers (and i mean all of them). do what makes your heart happy. bottom line, be good. do good. be happy. love a lot."

now i would love to say its been real easy for me to do this since then, but it has not been easy.  this simple task, call to action:  be good. do good. be happy. love all things.  is a daily battle that i don't always win (please, it feels like never win, but i've stopped counting, remember?).  and so it is in all of our lives i suppose...or maybe its just me.

great news is, every single second that ticks on the clock gives me (us, whatever) the opportunity to change our direction, our thoughts, all that damn worry, our lives, our revolutions, our actions, our relationships (the list goes on and on). so there's that. every second counts and every second presents a new opportunity.

its not likely i'll win my battle any time soon. but its a fight i'm willing to be in. after all, i made it this far. probably for reasons bigger than i can comprehend.  i like to think so. and so it is with all of us.

thanks to the writings of John Warner, the leadership of & discussions with Phil Yanov & Kamran Popkin for the inspiration to pour out these thoughts on paper, i mean blog, whatever it is, you know what i mean (ykwim).

think about your seconds.  i'll be thinking about mine. losing sometimes, winning others. but that's okay, i'm drinking the good stuff & wearing the fancy shoes & lovin on those around me & those that i wish were closer. cheers.

9 comments:

  1. this hits home. love that you have brought new perspective to my thoughts and actions - and love that you are here to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it takes something as drastic as this to bring things into perspective, I lost my mother to a similar situation also with her gallbladder not so long ago I never knew how risky this type of operation truly is.

    I agree this hits home in a lot of ways, I've run from death so much in life not sure how much I've faced it personally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN! The bottom line is the MAKER was not ready to handle Tanya Thompson at that moment. So he left you here with us little college girl!
    And we are glad he did!
    Your red headed buddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work isn't finished here yet. Dunno exactly what it's gonna look like, but its time to stop playing with the numbers and start the irl heart stuff, stat,#14.5. Seems like your on the right track, carpe damn diem. Itykwim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Maker sends some of the best lessons in strange ways. We sometimes aren't willing or too busy thinking we're running the show to listen or understand until we have one of those "moments" when we get "the lesson" loud and clear. Sounds like you heard it, understood it and are willing to pass it on! Good for you girl!!!!
    Changing a few things myself these day!
    Love ya,
    Currygirl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I follow you on Twitter and know that you had an health issue but never knew how serious it was. Thank you for sharing your experience. Glad you are living life to the fullest. I need to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, had no idea of the severity of your surgery. So glad to hear you're doing well and can find added joys and pleasure in your life!
    Tone Stone

    ReplyDelete
  8. this gave me chills. multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. poignant...real...lower case which is my personal favorite...truth...flow...expression...beautiful...and last but not least a nice "wow"...
    "seconds to none"

    ReplyDelete